23 October 2007

Dunlop Targa: Day 1, Use Your Power Arms!

Woah, what a day that was. So much so that I was too tired to update this yesterday (now edited)! I wasn't expecting the Prologue to fully prepare me for Day 1 and it sure didn't.

9 stages totaling 162km was a real workout, finally ending up in New Plymouth after a total of 351km of touring.

A highlight was seeing Glenys Neal (Penny's Mum) who marshalled at Special Stage 7, Marokopa. Her banner in the stage, "Go de Borsts!" sure was an inspiration!

Had a bit of an overheating concern during SS8. As it turned out, coolant had been escaping past the radiator cap - a bit of a scare, but no harm done it seems.

Also the rear axle is still holding up well, and Allan and Hans, our intrepid service crew added a clamp next to the bushing to dissuade further movement.

The touring section between SS8 and SS9 seemed pretty long at 78km and kinda threw me out of my "fast driving" state of mind. I think SS9 suffered as a result, but arriving in New Plymouth in one piece was rewarding enough!

I've gotta say there are moments where I'm jealous of drivers with power steering - I've got to use my power arms instead, but there's satisfaction in throwing an old car like this around these back roads!

No comments: